Healthy chicks become healthy chickens! So how do you know you have a healthy chick? Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
▪ Your chick should be vibrant and active.
▪ Your chick should vocalize contentedly. Is your chick engaged and vocal?
▪ Your chick should be alert.
▪ Your chick should be well-hydrated. Are you offering opportunities for your chick to obtain fresh, clean water at all times?
▪ Your chick should have clean, dry, fluffy down.
▪ Your chick should have good levels of maternal antibodies. (More about this later!)
▪ Your chick should have a fully retracted yolk and a well-healed navel that is completely closed and clean.
▪ Your chick’s eyes should be open, alert and bright.
▪ Your chick should be upright, able to stand firmly and walk well.
I’ll give you more information about each of these areas so you know how to assess the health of your chicks. Remember: you are responsible for the health and well-being of your chicks! It’s not hard, but it does take some effort, so visit often for tips and
tutorials on how to be a fantastic chick manager.
Stay pumped Doc@ichicken.ca